The residential treatment program at Carolina House is designed to provide comprehensive care for women, ages 17 and above, who are dealing with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge-eating disorder, or another type of eating disorder. The residential program is housed in a beautiful, 16-bed, craftsman-style farmhouse that is surrounded by 10 acres of serene forest land in Durham, North Carolina.
At Carolina House, we place a premium on forming relationships with our clients that are founded on dignity and respect, always with an understanding of and appreciation for the role that an eating disorder has played in their lives. We endeavor to provide a holistic treatment experience that incorporates our clients’ families, communities, cultures, value systems, and spiritual traditions, focusing on integrating their unique needs and strengths within the larger world.
When you choose to enroll in residential treatment at Carolina House, you will work closely with a team of talented professionals, including a staff psychiatrist, an internal medicine physician, registered nurses, licensed therapists, registered dietitians, a professional culinary team, an art therapist, a yoga/mindfulness instructor, a body movement therapist, and residential client assistants. Many of these professionals have also been specially trained and have developed specific expertise in several areas that may be relevant to your needs including spirituality, grief and loss, trauma, co-dependence, expressive art therapy, and relapse prevention.
The following are among the more common therapeutic modalities that are incorporated into residential treatment at Carolina House:
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Principles of the 12-Step recovery philosophy
- Trauma therapy
Residential clients at Carolina House may participate in the following experiences and activities:
- Daily interactions and check-ins with therapists and other clinical staff members
- 24-hour nursing care, 7 days per week
- One-Two sessions per week with an individual therapist
- One session per week with Family Therapist
- Two interpersonal process group sessions per week
- DBT psychoeducation sessions three times per week
- Weekly specialty groups, including relapse prevention, addictions education, spirituality, empowerment, and Body Image
- Weekly individual sessions with a registered dietitian, psychiatrist, and internal medicine physician
- Yoga and mindfulness experiences
- Culinary and nutrition education
- Art and body movement therapies
- Creativity groups
- Nutrition education groups
- Meal preparation groups
- Culinary group that is led by an experienced chef
The residential program also offers a variety of supervised offsite therapeutic experiences, including the following:
- Community service
- Group-building activities
- Menu planning
- Restaurant outings
- Educational food shopping experiences
For more information about Carolina House, or to get answers to any specific questions you may have about our program, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We look forward to helping you determine if Carolina House is the perfect place for you.