Carolina House proudly serves people of all genders age 17 and older from across the country who are struggling with eating disorders and other co-occurring concerns.
Residential Eating Disorder Treatment
Our residential program includes our original Carolina House Homestead farmhouse for women 17 and older and our new Carolina House Estate that is gender-inclusive for individuals age 17 and older. Our facilities are located in North Carolina and serve North Carolina, South Carolina, and surrounding states. Carolina House provides comprehensive treatment for all genders, ages 17 and above, who are dealing with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, or another type of eating disorder. The Homestead is housed in a beautiful, 16-bed craftman-style farmhouse that is surrounded by 10 acres of serene forest land in Durham, North Carolina. The Estate is housed in a six-bed brick colonial home that is surrounded by 12 wooded acres in Durham, North Carolina.
At Carolina House, we place a premium on forming relationships with our clients at our center in our treatment program for eating disorders that are founded on dignity and respect, always with an understanding of and appreciation for the role that an eating disorder has played in their lives. We endeavor to provide a holistic treatment experience in our eating disorder program at our center that incorporates our clients’ families, communities, cultures, value systems, and spiritual traditions, focusing on integrating their unique needs and strengths within the larger world.
When you choose to enroll in our gender-inclusive residential treatment program at Carolina House, located in North Carolina and also serving South Carolina and surrounding states, you will work closely with a team of talented professionals at our eating disorder treatment center, including a staff psychiatrist, an internal medicine physician, registered nurses, licensed therapists, registered dietitians, a professional culinary team, an art therapist, a yoga/mindfulness instructor, a body movement therapist, and residential client assistants. Many of these professionals in our eating disorder program at our treatment center have also been specially trained and have developed specific expertise in several areas that may be relevant to your needs including spirituality, grief and loss, trauma, co-dependence, expressive art therapy, and relapse prevention.
The following are among the more common therapeutic modalities that are incorporated into the residential treatment program at Carolina House:
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Principles of the 12-Step recovery philosophy
- Trauma therapy
Residential clients at Carolina House may participate in the following experiences and activities in the eating disorder program at our treatment center:
- Daily interactions and check-ins with therapists and other clinical staff members
- 24-hour nursing care, 7 days per week
- One-Two sessions per week with an individual therapist
- One session per week with Family Therapist
- Two interpersonal process group sessions per week
- DBT psychoeducation sessions three times per week
- Weekly specialty groups, including relapse prevention, spirituality, empowerment, and Body Image
- Weekly individual sessions with a registered dietitian, psychiatrist, and internal medicine physician
- Yoga and mindfulness experiences
- Culinary and nutrition education
- Art and body movement therapies
- Creativity groups
- Nutrition education groups
- Meal preparation groups
- Culinary group that is led by an experienced chef
The residential program at our eating disorder treatment center also offers a variety of supervised offsite therapeutic experiences, including the following:
- Community service
- Group-building activities
- Menu planning
- Restaurant outings
- Educational food shopping experiences
For more information about eating disorder treatment programs at Carolina House, located in North Carolina and also serving South Carolina and surrounding states, or to get answers to any specific questions you may have about our program, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We look forward to helping you determine if Carolina House is the perfect place for you.