2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons softened butter
1 cup, 2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350⁰. Mix together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to combine the butter, sugar, and egg. Next, stir in the water and molasses.
- Slowly mix the ingredients from the first step into the butter mixture.
- Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. On an ungreased cookie sheet, place the cookies 2 inches apart and flatten each one slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack. Let them cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Recipe makes 25 cookies.